Saturday, March 15, 2014

The first of many visits - February 19, 2014

I grew up with a family doctor that we could call up and make an appointment the same day. Dr Rueffer. Dr Rueffer has known me since I was a toddler, he has seen me through many childhood illness and was there with the birth of my two beautiful kids. His daughter and I know each other from school. It is so different when you have a relationship. When Dr Rueffer retired, he moved his practice over to Northfield Medical Centre. We have found it difficult to embrace the changes. Not having a relationship with any of the doctors, receptionists or procedures makes one reluctant or hesitant to try and make an appointment. You call in the morning and are on hold for such lengths of time, it becomes frustrating and you almost just "don't bother". Thankfully, Jason being home was able to persevere and make an appointment for me on February 20, 2014.

I had an appointment with Dr. Shamim Tahira. I had never met this doctor before. I explained my symptoms. She felt the lumps on the side of my neck and I showed her the swelling area above my collarbone. She expressed that she was concerned. She asked many questions about whether I had a fever, chills, weight loss - all no. I did share about the handful of times where I did wake up with night sweats. I also shared that I had a cough that just seemed to linger, especially in the morning. She felt my other lymph node areas - armpit and groin but thankfully none of those lymph nodes seemed to be enlarged.

She sent me for bloodwork, a thyroid and neck ultrasound and a chest x-ray.
Let the tests begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment