Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Lymph Node Biopsy Update

One more step forward. I arrived at St Mary's Hospital at the ungodly hour of 6:00 am. Once again, so fortunate to have such an up-to-date, beautiful facility at our doorstep. The nurses got me all set up and prepped for the surgery. The lymph node excision was uneventful as far as I can tell. I was at the hospital for about 6 hours in total. Much of the time was spent in recovery. I believe the procedure took around 1 hour 15 minutes to complete. My right under arm is pretty bandaged up and very sore. I am listening to the advice of the nurses and taking the pain medication as directed. It is definitely helping. Ice packs and a pillow under my arm are making me much more comfortable. The waiting continues. They don't expect the results of this biopsy to be available for at least a week. The reason for this biopsy is to confirm the type of lymphoma I have, namely Hodgkins Nodular Sclerosis which is what they are pretty confident it is. As well, I have not heard the results of the Gallium Scan. I am making an assumption based on telephone conversations that this is not likely to be shared with me over the phone. My next appointment is not until Thursday, April 17th at the Cancer Centre. I plan to call again to inquire about whether that appointment can be moved up at all. The waiting is the hardest. I am anxious to get things started. I know that we need all the pieces of this puzzle called my life in order to plan the treatment, I'm trying hard to remain positive and take each day as it comes. Luckily Jason is my sounding board,  he is my voice of reason. There are times where I let my anxiety get the best of me and worry about the what ifs, he brings me back to the now. I am grateful for his love for me today and everyday down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment