- Choosing healthy lives
- Delivering early detection
- Achieving treatment for all
- Maximising quality of life
I have personal direct experience with the gains made in cancer treatment. Hodgkins Lymphoma is now a highly treatable, cureable form of cancer with proven standards of treatment. For that I am grateful. The survival rates continue to increase for Lymphoma and many other cancers on the continuum.
One of the events related to World Cancer Day is a movement that our family chose to donate towards as a way of paying it forward after my Kicking Cancer party is the No Hair Selfie. A former teacher and his brothers are participating in the campaign and we made a donation to their team. Princess Margaret Hospital is also connected to the Cancer Care Path service which I have been fortunate to be apart of since my diagnosis. In the spirit of the #NoHairSelfie movement, I remember my last day of chemotherapy. It symbolizes how far I have come in the past few months. I am gaining confidence and strength that I am moving past this and that I will continue to re-vitalize and become a stronger person now that I am a survivor.
I researched where the funds raised will go? "Funds raised from the #NoHairSelfie campaign will support the Princess Margaret Hospital's vision of Personalized Cancer Medicine, a multi-faceted, integrated approach to cancer care that focuses on the unique nature of each patient: "Finding the right treatment for the right patient, at the right time." Key Investments and Research Priorities include:
- Cancer Stem Cells - Erasing cancer’s blueprint
- Epigenetics - Looking for a genetic on/off switch
- Guided Therapeutics Program - Superhero vision in one of the world’s best operating rooms
- Immune Therapy - Helping the body to heal itself
- Molecular Imaging - The next frontier in diagnostics
- Nanotechnology - A new field with the potential to revolutionize the way cancer is treated
- Precision Genomics - Decoding genetic fingerprints
- Personalized Radiation Therapy – Adaptive, Stereotactic, Regenerative
- Psychosocial Oncology and Palliative Care - Caring for the body, mind and soul
- Survivorship Programming - Putting patients in the driver’s seat"