Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Trust Your Instincts

Watching the ducks at the cottage reminds me of instincts. This duck knew that other ducks were nearby and automatically protected her young.  I have learned in this journey that my instincts and my gut feeling has carried me far. As I mentioned, the previous treatment I struggled with back pain near my kidneys right after receiving my chemotherapy dosages. I spoke to the oncologist about this and this treatment we decided to have me take Tylenol #3 as a preventative measure as well as another medication that is supposed to help with reactions to one of the chemo drugs in my ABVD regime. As well, he has ordered urine testing and possibly a kidney ultrasound (depending on the findings). While the back pain was considerably less, it wast still present, I worked through it with painkillers but this nagging feeling remained. I had also shared that I felt that I was using the washroom constantly. My sleep was interrupted at night because I was awoken with the urge to go. I know I am drinking alot of water but something just didn't seem right to me.

I received a call from Dr Stevens Tuesday night, confirming my worries. Bacteria was present in the urine sample when they started growing the culture in the petri dish. It is a bacteria normally present in healthy people but because my immune system is non-existent I am not able to fight off the bacteria like a regular healthy person. They will continue to culture the sample as they can pin point the exact type of antibiotic needed to fight the infection. 9 times out of 10 amoxicillin is a penicillin that they will prescribe but one person out of 10 may need a different drug. He has started me on 10 days of amoxicillin until they know the results for sure and if they need to change it they will. I noticed a difference quite quickly after starting just two doses of the medication. I slept virtually through the night for the first time in a very long time. What a difference it makes to actually sleep!! I am thankful that I advocated for myself and listened to my gut, I knew something wasn't right. I am so grateful that Dr Stevens continues to listen to me, and responds so quickly to my descriptions of the symptoms I am dealing with. I am fortunate to have him on my team. Jason continues to amaze me with his care for me. From hot rice packs for my back, back rubs, warming my feet, preparing my Heparin injections, making meals and driving to pharmacies half way across the city, he never ever once complains or makes me feel guilty. I love you Jason, thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment