Monday, June 8, 2015

3 More Months

Here's my advice, "Have a little faith and if that doesn't work, have alot of mimosas."

I had my follow up appointment with Dr Stevens last week, I continue to see him every 3 months for bloodwork and a check in. I find these appointments both comforting and a tiny bit anxiety provoking. The days leading up to the appointment, I find myself beginning to imagine all the negative things that could happen, not wanting to let myself believe that I will continue to have good health and increasing energy. Life really is so much back to normal that entering those wooden doors at the Cancer Centre bring so many emotions back for me of those long months of treatment that a nauseous feeling truly overcomes me just walking towards the doors.

I am thrilled to share that all of my bloodwork tests are now within the normal range. It has taken 8 months since my last chemotherapy treatment for every test to return to normal. We have been watching the ALT and AST liver counts that were a bit elevated but those are now well within normal levels. My white blood cell count is healthy and perfect!!! All aspects of my bloodwork and the absence of any physical symptoms point to nothing but continued remission - in fact I would say a great improvement in overall energy and emotional and physical well-being! I feel a turning point from my last visit in February. I have another appointment in August before I return to school.

Dr. Stevens has written a letter indicating that a full time return to work will happen in September 2015, I am so beyond excited to get back to my career!!! The last piece of the puzzle will fall into place. How appropriate that yesterday June 7, 2015 was National Cancer Survivor's Day. I am certainly a SURVIVOR. What an amazing feeling celebrating with a group of cherished girlfriends at our cottage in Wiarton this past weekend. Life is good. Cancer can be overcome. Thank you to all of our friends and acquaintances who continue to devote their own time to supporting research and fundraising for many causes, including the Canadian Cancer Society. Our family looks forward to taking part in a Light the Night Walk in October 2015 to support the Lymphoma and Leukemia Society of Ontario. Stay tuned on how you can help Light the Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment