Monday, January 12, 2015

A great night

I'm braver because I fought a giant and won.
I'm strong because I had to be.
I'm happier because I learned what matters.
I stand taller because I'm a survivor.

January 10, 2015 is almost six months to the day that I learned that my Hodgkins Lymphoma was in remission. Seemed like a perfect time to host a party to thank our friends and gather together to celebrate that I have kicked cancer to the curb! I can't explain how heartwarming it is to look around a crowded room and see all of the friends and family from all different parts of our lives together in one room. Colleagues from every school I have taught at, neighbours, hockey moms, yurting group, best friends from university and highschool, Jason's buddies. The room was full of music, dancing, laughter and a few tears. It was exactly what I wanted. While some dear, key important people were missing from the mix, they were there in spirit and sent me along their love or dropped by quickly for a hug. The most important thing is that we know exactly who is in our lives and we know without a doubt who loves us. Cancer does that for a family. We can't think of a better reason to celebrate. To raise a glass to friendship, supporting each other, saying what you mean and living in the moment. 2015 holds great promise for a renewal of spirit and a return to many new adventures. Thank you to everyone who came to the celebration, thank you for your gifts - which are completely unnecessary. Cards with words that bring tears to my eyes, flowers, and champagne, let there be many more reasons to toast and celebrate all life has to offer!

We intend to pay it forward and have made donations to a former teacher's #nohairselfie fundraiser which takes place on World Cancer Day as well as a donation to Hopesprings Cancer Support Centre, a wonderful resource in our city supporting those affected by cancer






No comments:

Post a Comment